can't sit still...must cook


Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 4, Homework

Homework

Even with my new confidence from class... I must admit eggs still make me nervous. But here we go with my homework...

I whisked together three eggs and one teaspoon of water (not milk!)


I made sure to use my non-stick pan.

Turned my stove on high (this part always freaks me out because my stove is from the Stone Age and is completely out of control!) Added a dollop of butter, swirled it around in the pan. Then quickly added the egg mixture.

When egg mixture set, I sprinkled cheese down the middle like this....


Then, used my spatula to flip over one side...

Then the next part is tricky... I couldn't hold my camera and do it at the same time. I was going to tell you to use your imagination but I included some illustrations below that I borrowed from Julia Child since I'm feeling eggspecially nice today (Cheesy? I know, I know, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)

I grabbed the pan handle from underneath (it feels incredibly awkward which I'm told means that you are doing it right). When you tilt the pan over the plate, the omelette should sort of drop/plop to one corner.

Then with a swift movement of your wrist....




Flip...pray...success!



Ok it's a little browner than Richard's but not half bad!



Now for poaching...

Sorry we don't all have egg rings handy... but I thought up a pretty good solution if I do say so myself. Apparently, mason jars are so last year...according to Adam Platt of New York Magazine.
Since Adam says I can't use my mason jars for entertaining anymore, I'll use the tops as egg rings to poach eggs!



I tossed one into simmering water... Then added a spoonful of vinegar because it helps your egg hold it's shape later on.


Cracked an egg into a bowl...


I held my bowl right over the ring and very gently slid in the egg.


Nice!


And the poaching begins.... It just took a few minutes (you don't want to overcook because the yolk should still be runny)




Again, not as pretty as Richards... but success nonetheless!


I give myself an A!


Okay and here is where I get extra credit... I remember my friend Ilana said that in Israel, eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce is popular for breakfast.

So I gave it a try. I just used bottled tomato sauce and added some red pepper flakes. (Maybe next time I will make my own sauce) I simmered the sauce and gently dropped in an egg. I didn't use egg rings (but maybe next time I will)...



Delish! A new favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment